Friday, October 21, 2011

Wreath Overboard!

For some reason, I have been on a wreath-making spree!! I went a little crazy at Hobby Lobby yesterday, but since I will have some time to myself over the next couple of days, I figured I might as well craft.

Here are my first two creations, then I will get on with what I am really proud of!

inspiration from here

i tweaked the instructions some and used hot glue instead of pins. not the most gorgeous wreath, but perfect for a farmhouse!

inspiration from here

again, i tweaked the instructions by using hot glue instead of pins. i also didn't use pearl pins for the flowers and i added my monogram. i love this!


Now... on to the cotton wreath!


inspiration from here

you will need:
1 wreath ( i used the straw one and kept it in the wrapper)
about 6 strips of 3-4 inch burlap to wrap wreath (or fabric, whatever you like)
about 50 open cotton bolls
hot glue gun
itunes (always good while crafting)

instructions:

first, pick the cotton! (so easy where I live = my backyard!)



next, wrap the wreath in burlap


then, start gluing the cotton bolls onto the wreath like so:


oh and if you don't know what a cotton boll is, it is the "flower" on the plant- i chose cotton that was actually being picked so it was very full!

cotton boll

make sure you take the stem completely off so the cotton will stick to the burlap


clean off all of the trash and dead leaves, too

i did about 3 layers of cotton.




if i saw any burlap, i pulled off the cotton and glued it in between bolls

don't mind the funky color.. oops

finally, i used the leftover bolls (called a bur) where i used the cotton for filler and glued 3 on top (my dad says it needs more... we'll see)


and then....... IT WAS FINISHED!



YAY! I am so excited and proud of my little craft! I hung the wreath with some wire. So easy. 

This little beauty is coming with me to Illinois! I LOVE the smell of cotton, so when I am homesick, I'm just going to smell my wreath! (weird? nahh)

My next wreath is going to be one with the cotton burs (the brown part without cotton) and figure out a way to make them decorative and colorful! 

Hope you have a great weekend!

Ta ta,




















1 comment:

Lacey in the City said...

So you know how everyone has some weird "thing" about them that no one else can understand? Cotton balls are mine...I can NOT touch cotton balls. The squeaky noise they make is like nails on chalkboard to me. I have goosebumps just typing it. I wish I could handle them though so that I could attempt your fabulous wreath!!! Will you be bringing it with you to Indy?